So you may have heard me mention the closed beta for Pillowfort.io, a new blogging platform in the works, and with the third wave of invites gone out, I was able to finally join it last week (here’s my personal blog there). Without an account you can’t see comments or go into tags, but right now you should be able to take a look at specific blogs if you have the url.
As mentioned, the site is still in beta and has a ways to go, bugs are common, some desirable features are missing, it’s still pretty quiet, etc. That said, here are some nice things going for it:
- COMMENT SECTIONS
- seriously comment sections are so important y’all
- you can have a back-and-forth public conversation without also spreading the same post around over and over and repeatedly exposing your followers to it
- A real, actual message/mail system with an inbox and threading, unlike tumblr’s wonky “ask” system
- when you make a post, you can set it to “viewable by everyone,” “viewable only by mutuals,” or “viewable only by me”
- when you make a post, you can turn off comments and reblogs — no more having to put “don’t reblog” in the tags of something you don’t want spread around; you can just outright disable the option
- also you can mark it as NSFW as well
- so far it seems like there’s quite a few ace people on there, which helps set the tone for me — the ratio of “people saying they’re ace and/or affirming asexuality” to “people making fun of aces” is definitely weighted toward the former
- (I actually don’t think I’ve seen any antiace antagonism there yet at all)
So! Stay tuned for further updates, I guess. After Imzy’s rise and collapse, it’s fair to be especially skeptical of this taking off, but I hope to enjoy this while it lasts.