Aces in the Church: a zine from under the asexual umbrella about experiences with(in) modern Christianity
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Too often, non-aces will speculate about what it’s like to be ace under the gaze of one of the most politically powerful religious groups to date, making assumptions about what we do or don’t face, without asking those of us who have the relevant experience. This zine, “Aces in the Church,” is intended to be a compilation of ace experiences with & within Christianity, to bring our stories together into one place and close the door on any need for speculation.
Who can submit content?
Anyone who fits both criteria:
- past or present identification with asexuality, gray-asexuality, or some other identity under the asexual umbrella (questioning people welcome)
- past or present participation in/involvement with/exposure to a Christian church or community (or Christian and Christian-leaning individuals)
If you’re interested but you’re on the fence about whether you or your experiences count, you are invited to submit something anyway.
What content can you submit?
Any personal reflections, mini essays, vignettes, stories, short comics, or other works dealing with being ace while engaging with Christians and/or in relation to Christianity. For example, you might submit something about:
- messages from within the Church about marriage and sexuality & how they’ve impacted you
- abstinence-only sex education as experienced by an ace
- how a Christian upbringing has affected the way you or others feel about the legitimacy of your ace identity
- a time when you disclosed an ace identity, lack of interest in sex, etc., to a Christian
- consequences to not believing in Christianity and consequences to not expressing sexual desire
- parental expectations with regard to sex and God
- dating (or not) as a Christian and an ace
- interplay between religious and sexual trauma
- things you would tell your younger, more devout (or less devout) self about attraction, dogma, and community
- positive experiences of explicit ace acceptance in a Christian context
There is no minimum length requirement. A couple of sentences is fine. A short note saying that the subject is too difficult for you to talk about can count as a contribution.
All submissions will be subject to the editor’s approval prior to publication. Pieces with objectionable content, such as antigay sentiment, will not be tolerated. You can opt to supply a contact method if you would like to resolve any issues that may arise.
The editor will add content warnings at its own discretion, and you are welcome to specify some yourself. There is only one mandatory rule about this: please place a note at the top if your submission includes sexual content.
How can I submit something?
You have two options! Either drop the full text into Coyote’s askbox, or email the file/document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “zine submission.” These methods can also be used to send questions about the zine, but in that case, make sure to include a contact method for the reply, unless you’re a regular reader of The Ace Theist.
Please specify what name (if any) you would like the piece to be attributed to for the byline. In other words, please say who your submission is from. Your submission can be from “Anonymous.” If you choose not to remain anonymous, you may use an alias or a url, or both.
When is the deadline?
The current deadline is August 15, but that’s subject to change depending on the response rate. Feel free to drop Coyote a note to request more time.
[note for people who don’t read the tags: full text copying of this post is permitted & encouraged so this will spread]